Curate Myself: Japanese Mythology-from Folk tales and Film

    One subject that I think the class would find interesting in Japanese mythology. Many students in ringing, including myself, enjoy Japanese animation, but most of us do not know much about the origin of these stories. The protagonist and antagonist all have some qualities that come from Japanese mythology. I recommend that students read several stories from "Mythes and Legends of Japan" by F.H. Davis. This is an e-book with 30 mythes and 32 beautiful illustrations. I would recommend chapter 6; Jizo-god of children. This beautiful story tells about a god who is a playmate and protector of children. I also recommend they watch "Spirit Away," because this is about Chihiro, a little girl who becomes the protector of her family. I am going to give the link to the book and the name of the several animation. Students can choose which chapters they want to read, and they can compare the characters to the ones they watch in animation.

 Title: Myths & Legends of Japan
Author: F. Hadland (Frederick Hadland) Davis
Release Date: May 23, 2014 [eBook #45723]

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/45723/45723-h/45723-h.htm#CHAPTER_VI_JIZO_THE_GOD_OF_CHILDREN

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/japanese-mythology?page=1
Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Naruto: Series
Yo-kai Watch: Series

Comments

Popular Posts